Class Introduction- Donika Dedushaj

Donika Dedushaj

Intended Major: Nursing

Preferred Gender Pronoun: She/Her

As a college freshman, I am sure that there are many different sensations and thoughts that run through our minds, while we are all new to this experience.  Personally, I am both excited and nervous as to what this class will have awaiting for me. On the positive, I am excited to engage with a variety forms of texts and become familiar with major arguments and writing formats. After reviewing the syllabus, I felt anxious. I began to hope that I will not become overwhelmed with the writing assignments, even though writing multi-paged papers is something new to me.

Writing is something that can be improved throughout the course of one’s life. It is important to write well because it is a form of communication. Writing is a way one is on their intellect and even personality. One main quality of good writing is structure. The way a writer organizes their writing is important because all sections should be linked together smoothly. Moreover, word selection says a lot about a writer. This is an important part of writing because it helps illustrate a vivid picture to the reader. The choice of words helps the writer express their ideas that will have an impact on the audience. Becoming a good writer may take time and practice. Tips for being a good writer include: reading, editing, gathering ideas, and writing often.

From my own point of view, the easiest part of writing is brainstorming. Once a topic is bought to my attention, I immediately brainstorm and outline my ideas. However, when it is time to start the writing, I have trouble with the introduction. I find this the hardest part because it outlines the main points of your writing, while it is also supposed to grab the readers’ attention. Another thing I need to work on with my writing is not being repetitive. While editing my work, I tend to catch myself repeating major words and ideas. As was introduced, my intended major is nursing which I know will involve different forms of writing. Since this field of study is based on science, the work that I will be expected to write is scientific writing; such as, research papers and lab reports. Being an effective writer affects your career opportunities because the better one’s writings becomes, the better their speech becomes too. Writing is necessary in all career opportunities because specific writing skills will impress the onlookers.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Jennifer Alcantara
    I agree with you! I also said that the way the writer organizes their work is very important. I also like that you said that the sections should be linked together smoothly. That's very important.
  2. Keiry Ramirez
    "Writing is something that can be improved throughout the course of one’s life." and " Writing is a way one is on their intellect and even personality." I can agree with both statements. Writing is another way someone can express themselves.
  3. Vilma Gonzales
    "As a college freshman, I am sure that there are many different sensations and thoughts that run through our minds, while we are all new to this experience. Personally, I am both excited and nervous as to what this class will have awaiting for me. " I can definitely agree with this its a mix of emotions as a freshman in college and i love how you started this assignment.