Blog #6

The texts I have chosen to focus my analytical research paper on is My Cat Yugoslavia and Crossing, both written by Pajtim Statovci. The books focus on the social issue of gender identity and sexuality.

Thesis Statement: Children from traditional households face pressure from parents when they do not fit into traditional gender roles.

While writing my analytical research paper, I look forward to addressing the major issue children have been facing concerning gender identity and sexuality. It is common that for many years, children fear and do not have the potential to reveal their identity and sexuality to their family because it is forbidden in most cultures and traditional households. Both books, My Cat Yugoslavia and Crossing highlights many key ideas about a young gay male that was afraid to reveal who he really is and what he feels due to his conservative culture. Out of all social issues that are going on in this world, one of the major reasons as to why I chose to do further research on this topic is because many individuals that come from different cultures still face discrimination and there are still many families that do not understand and do not believe that their children can be LGBTQIA. I came up with my thesis by putting together the major points and themes in both books. While both books share the same theme; traditional cultures will suppress countless children who struggle with revealing their true identity. These children may experience depression and misery. In this analytical research paper, I plan on making my statement clear by breaking down the main reasons and providing backup details to make my thesis statement valid. I also plan on making an entrancing argument by providing examples and persuasive reasoning.

Comments ( 5 )

1. Arlinda Mulliqi
    Donika, I think your choice of text for this analysis assignment is a great example that represents a common issue in today's society. There are so many kids that are afraid to speak on their sexuality because growing up homophobia was normalized in their family.
  2. Miguel Estrella
    I agree that individuals from different cultures that are part of the LGBTQIA still face discrimination because their sexuality may not be common in their family's culture, which leads to many individuals feeling like they are not supported or like they have no one to talk to.
  3. Miryam Juarez
    I think that your choice is a good topic to talk about as there is a lot to mention and explain. Children in society unfortunately can grow up with no support by their family or friends in situations as this one. I believe that talking about this topic will bring more light into it.
  4. Kiana Joyner
    I really like your topic of choice and I think it'll be interesting to see how you go into detail about children from traditional backgrounds and how it affects them when speaking about their gender identity and sexuality.
  5. Cordelia Vohnout
    I wholeheartedly agree with your thesis statement and I think that this will make for a really compelling essay. Gender and identity are inextricably connected to our childhood and the things we learn from the households we grow up in. The way in which our society suppresses children is a complex issue and exploring it from this angle will be really interesting to read.