Class Introduction

Hello, my name is Salimatou Bah but people usually call me Salima. My intended major is biology. My preferred gender pronouns are she/hers. I am excited to learn how people form their opinions and persuade people to agree with them. That is something that I feel would personally help my life. I’m nervous that I’m coming into this course not so good of a writer but that makes me even more excited to learn how to improve it all.

A quality of good writing is clarity. Your audience should question what you’re going to say next and you should say it. You should have them wondering then answer their question. It is important to write well because it corresponds with your verbal communication. If you can clearly convey a message through typing your verbal conversation would probably clearly convey messages as well. You want your audience to understand what you’re trying to point out. You want to state your point, give your evidence, and give reasoning to your audience as to why your point is valid. 

I think the easiest part of writing for me is writing conclusions. Your conclusion should be a summary of your writing piece and your most important points. I feel like I am good at highlighting the important points in my conclusion further proving the point I’m trying to prove to my audience. The hardest part of writing for me is citing my evidence. Once I have a good grasp on a topic I am able to give opinions and facts in an effective way so my reader can try to relate to my views. I have to work on citing because when I do research and don’t cite my sources it may be seen like plagiarism when in reality it is not. We have to give everyone their credit for their articles and thoughts that helped to build our opinions on any topic.

Being a good writer corresponds with being a good reader who can take texts and interpret them depending on what they are trying to do with them. I expect to write research papers in my intended major. I feel like this will affect my career opportunities because this encourages me to understand readings from different perspectives. I feel like this could open up the opportunity to find why things happen in our world and what we can do about it.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Joelle Mckenzie
    I totally agree with you that clarity is key! Also that appropriate interpretation is a responsibility of both the writer and the reader. ✌