Class Introductions

Hi, my name is Kiana Joyner, my intended major is Art, I want to become an Art teacher, my preferred pronouns are her/she. After reviewing the syllabus, one thing I’m unsure/nervous about is making sure I complete assignments the way they’re intended and asking for help when needed. I haven’t written a formal essay in a while and I fear that my writing may not be up to par, so to speak. I hope that throughout the course these fears settle as I learn to appreciate writing again and that I can become a better writer. I’m anxious to understand how to become a better writer and to be able to use what I learn in this course in my other courses.  I believe the qualities of good writing are being able to write coherently so that it’s clear and precise and easy to understand. It is also being able to understand grammatical errors, and being able to use good writing techniques. I think being a good writer takes time and dedication. You have to want to be a good writer, not just complete writing assignments because you have to. To be a good writer you have to be able to take criticism as well and be able to take it and fix your mistakes. So that means doing multiple drafts to try and get your work as clear and neat as possible, to put your best work forward.

It’s important to be able to write well because knowing how to write well is a skill that is useful for a lifetime. When you start a career or ar even applying to one, your writing tells a story about you, and the better you write the better chance you have of being hired. Also regardless of your career field, there is a big chance that you’re going to be asked to write something, whether it be formal or informal. I think the easiest part of writing for me is being able to grasp information and then to have to explain what I’ve learned. Writing in itself can be complex, but I feel I’m able to deliver information clearly. The hardest part of writing for me is being able to compile all the information and deliver it clearly. I sometimes find myself straying from the topic onto another topic. I find sometimes I grasp too much information so when its time to write an essay on it, it’s all over the place and hard to follow. I’m not sure what I will be expected to write as an art major, maybe art reports. I know for art teaching I will need to write papers and mock lesson plans. I’ll have to be able to prove that I can write lesson plans that are clear and easy to follow.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Gabriela Harrington
    When it comes to being a good writer, I agree with the fact that you have to want to be a good writer. Being a good writer stems from the will to want to write depending on the purpose of the piece, whether it be informative, persuasive, or expressive. I concur with being able to take criticism is an important part of being a good writer and eventually, being an even better one. Lastly, I agree with the fact that writing tells a story about you. Telling a story also paints a story about the person who tells it.