Class Introduction-Karen Herrera

Hi, my name is Karen Herrera (she/her) and my major as of now is undecided although I have thoughts of majoring in early childhood education.

After reviewing the syllabus, one thing I am excited about is learning how certain situations impact our experiences. I look forward to reading new texts and books in order to gain more insights on social and political issues. One thing I am nervous about in this course is the critical analysis research paper we will be writing later on in the semester because I haven’t had a lot of experience writing research papers. Some qualities of good writing are being able to express your ideas clearly, being organized in your writing, your word choice, and your voice while writing. In order to be a good writer you have to be able to catch your audiences attention quickly in order to persuade them to keep reading, listening, etc. You have to have a set pace and sociable transition set in your writing, you don’t want to mention the same things repeatedly, that will bore the reader but you also don’t want to jump into all your ideas at once, that will throw off the reader and lead to confusion. It is important to write well because not only is writing used on a day to day basis, but writing well is a principle factor in communication and emphasizes how you are able to portray your ideas. The easiest part of writing for me would be reasoning, I tend to gather a lot of thoughts specifically in a persuasive essay regardless of what side I’m on. Also, I find the editing and revising part of writing both easy but overwhelming. When you think of it, all the writing is there, it’s just a matter of rearranging ideas or sentences, grammer, or adding more writing but sometimes I want to change things but become very indecisive on whether or not it would be a good idea. The hardest part about writing for me is usually the introduction because you have to properly introduce the topic but also keep it short while not specifying your entire writing piece and I usually struggle with this part. Although my major is undecided, If i decide to pursue a career in early childhood education I would be expected to write literacy genres along with descriptive, persuasive and narrative forms of writing. Being an effective writer will affect my career opportunities because having experience with different writing pieces allows me to conversate with younger ages at a more supporting level and understanding.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Dalbert Andujar
    Nice piece of writing, I am also interested in reading and gaining more insight on social and political issues and I share the same ideas on why writing is important as well as the good qualities of a writer !
  2. Jennifer Alcantara
    I agree with you! I like the qualities of good writing that you suggested. They're all super important and a necessity to include.