Class Introduction- Jaylene Cordero

Hey everyone, my name is Jaylene Cordero (She/her) and I am currently an undeclared major but plan in majoring in Biology.

After reviewing the syllabus, one thing I am excited about is in improving my writing, and learning about different types of writing styles. I personally enjoy English class so I’m excited about the whole class in general. One thing that I am nervous about is that the course will be online, I believe it would’ve been way better and easier to manage and understand in person. To answer the question of what are the qualities of good writing I believe that all writing is different and good writing should engage the readers and keep them interested in what they are reading by using different choices of words and writing styles. In order for one to be considered a good writer they must be able to attract readers and gain their attention in order for them to keep reading. I feel like it is important to write well because it is a form of communication that we use on a daily basis and without writing well others won’t be able to understand what it is that one is trying to say.  The easiest part of writing for me would be reading over my work and editing it. I find that to be easy because by rereading over my work and editing I can spot any mistakes made. In the other hand, what I find most difficult is actually starting a writing piece, I seem to procrastinate a lot when starting a new piece of writing and even restarting multiple times but once I am happy with the beginning of my writing I find it easy to continue writing and finish off. In this course I hope to learn how to write a good introduction to my writing since it’s what I struggle with the most. I’m not really sure of what I will be having to write about in my major/career but since I want to be a pediatrician I’m guessing medical reports and scientific findings. I think being an effective writer will affect my career opportunities because with good writing I’ll be able to write good medical reports and anything else that I may need to write for.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Miguel Estrella
    Hii Jayleneee!!!! I can relate to you because I am also worried about the class being online since I feel that I would be able to learn more if the class were in person.
  2. Eliana Espinal
    Hey! I agree that a quality of a good writer is their style of writing and powerful choice of words. I strongly believe that vocabulary plays a huge part in one's writing, which is why I, myself hope to improve in that! Also, it's cool that we share a few things, like we both enjoy English, currently undecided but intend to major in Biology.