Class Introduction – Gabriela Harrington

Hello! My name is Gabriela, my pronouns are she/her and my intended major is Nursing with a specialization in Midwifery.

After reading the syllabus for this class, I’m excited to expand my mind and to learn new techniques to better my writing. On the other hand, I am nervous about keeping up with due dates and keeping organized.

Good writing is subjective, it’s based on the reader’s perspective and their appreciation for certain genres. However, good writing is written with passion and enthusiasm. When a writer is passionate and knowledgeable about their subject, it translates into the written piece. In order to be a good writer, it is important to become familiar with the topic being discussed. Regardless of what genre it is, good writing appeals to the senses; it paints a vivid picture in your mind, like a movie reel. 

Good writing skills are imperative to thrive in today’s world because it is a language understood worldwide. Good writing allows us to walk others through our thoughts and ideas as well as serving as a form of self-expression for ourselves. Writing well serves to move others in ways unimaginable, as it could serve as self-reflection, motivation, or a brief escape from reality. Writing well proves not just that we can articulate well, but that we as a civilization and/or society have evolved to use language as a universal form of communication. We went from artifacts and wall paintings to composing pieces as long as needed to convey emotions.    

The easiest part of writing for me is articulating my thoughts into sentences and organizing them to properly get my point across. I enjoy expressing myself through written language because I can go back and fix things. On the other hand, the most difficult part about writing for me is getting started. I have a hard time knowing where to start. 

As a nursing major, I expect to be writing research papers about medical topics as well as patient care. My future career will require me to utilize good writing skills when applying to work in my field and to communicate with my peers and superiors. Being an excellent writer will help me stand out against other applicants when I am furthering my career and will ensure that my intelligence is properly represented to those who do not know me personally.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Karen Herrera
    Gabriela, I agree that a good writing piece is subjective, In order to fully and willingly engage others a writer must have a good understanding in the topic or subject they chose to write about as it will be noticed through their writing. Communication is sought out of good writing, you'll be able to portray your thoughts, gather them well and explain them in logical and reasonable way.
  2. Aicha Ibrahima
    Gabriela, I agree with your thoughts on good writing. The more familiar and passionate you are about a topic the better your work will turn out to be. Also, when your readers understand the passion that you put into to your work the more likely that they will read your work
  3. Odalys Garate
    I completely agree with you when you mention how as a nursing major we should be writing research papers about medical topics as well as patient care. As a nursing major myself I want to be able to use the same skills you mention to be able communicate with those that I need to communicate with. It is nice to know that you believe that writing takes part in nursing because I feel like a lot of people might not feel the same.