Class Introduction – Dylan Chan

Hi, my name is Dylan Chan, I go by he/him, and at the moment I am undecided on my future major.

After looking at the syllabus, I am excited to put my own opinion out to the blog to see if maybe some of my peers agree with my view or can maybe change the way I may view a certain topic. However, one thing I am nervous about would be my difficulty in interpreting and analyzing what the author maybe trying to say within their writing. When it comes to good writing, I believe that one should be able to grasp the audience’s attention, whether it be writing something that can be relatable to the reader (such as a overall message) or to have the reader be able to empathize with the characters in the story. Moreover, the writer should be able to provide factual information that remains focused on the topic (if the work is analytical). By being able to write well, one can convey their thoughts to others so that they may be able to change how other perceive things to be and it helps to be able to write something when you are in a professional environment.

For me, the easiest part of writing is being able to speak freely, much like writing my own thoughts down in a post like this, which I sometimes enjoy because there’s no pressure to overthink or anything, just write. The hardest part for me would be, as previously mentioned, is my ability to interpret and critically analyze a text, which is something I have tried to improve on but it just never clicked right with me. Lastly, as said before, I am undecided, but personally I believe that writing in some careers differ, where some may require a report on a problem or even observation, so the genre would be scientific or political, whilst other careers may not have much writing involved and more of short messages. But by being an effective writer, it can help formulate your writing in a professional manner and be able to get straight to the point while saying all the information that is needed.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Amani Daniel
    I fell the same about free writing because I find it hard to express yourself when there is a rubric involve
  2. Yesmely Medina
    I agree with you when you stated that a good writer should be able to get the reader's attention and maybe change their way of thinking when it comes to certain topics.