Class Introduction

Hello my name is Cordelia Vohnout (she/her), and I intend to major in dance.               

Something that caught my attention on the syllabus is that we will be able to record our thoughts on readings and share them with the class. This is exciting to me because I really enjoy discussing literature with my classmates and I’m glad that despite the fact that this is an entirely online course, we will still be able to discuss with each other. I am a little nervous about the amount of essays we have to complete in this course because I’m used to having one essay due every three months, as opposed to one due each month. Writing essays isn’t something I necessarily struggle with, however, I do get overwhelmed easily and I hope that I’ll be able to stay on track with my writing.

The qualities of good writing are simplicity, strong or unique vocabulary, and personality. Writing should be easy to follow but also unique to the person who’s writing it. In order to be a good writer you should know how to get to the point while also clearly explaining all your ideas. If your ideas are well developed and presented clearly they should be interesting to read, while also being understandable. Being able to write well is so important because writing is a main form of communication. We write every day whether it’s on social media, for homework, or a personal journal, we’re always trying to convey our ideas to each other through writing and being adept at it makes communicating with others much easier.

I keep a journal which I try to write in at least once a week and whenever I go on vacation I always write down the days events, so I would say that informally journaling is the easiest type of writing for me, but I also like to write stories. Writing about myself or a character I’ve created is my favorite type of writing because it’s therapeutic to get out my feelings on paper and in the case of writing stories, creating characters and worlds is fun because you can create any person, situation, or world you can imagine. The most difficult part of writing for me is writing about things I’m uninterested in. When I’m passionate about a topic writing comes naturally to me, however, when I’m forced to write about something that I’m not particularly interested in the writing becomes more of a chore.

I’ve been dancing for years and I intend to make it my career after college. While theres not necessarily any writing involved in dancing itself, writing definitely has a role in the dance world. Dance journalism is something that many dancers do alongside their professional career or after they’ve ended their careers as performers. Dance and writing are also both art forms, which means theres a lot of potential to use writing creatively or to develop an idea to later choreograph. Dancers and writers have a lot in common because they both take an idea existing in their heads and turn it into something physical that can either be watched or read. Conveying ideas or stories to others is the goal of both writing and dance, the only difference is the medium.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Calvin Chao
    I agree with that the fact that a writing is unique to a person because whatever they write makes sense to them but harder for others to understand. So that's when wording comes in to make the writing understandable for others.
  2. Edina
    I agree with personality being what makes a good writer. You never want to be dull and boring. You want your essays or short stories to connect to other readers and having personality in your writing piece is a good way.
  3. Daniel Price
    I agree that personality is a good quality of a writing piece