BLOG#2

In the text ”Mother Tongue by Amy Tan language played a role in Amy Tans life because she grew up with a mother who didn’t know proper  English and she  was her mother’s communication. Language shaped her own perception of herself because it changed how she expressed her self,  the text  state’s  ”its my mothers tongue Her language, as I hear it, is vivid direct….that was the language that helped shape the way I saw things expressed things, made sense of the world”. Language helped Amy Tan become the writer she wanted to be and it made her realize to embrace where she came from. Amy Tan became aware of her own language biases  in the beginning of the text when she explains how she uses proper English when speaking in public rather than speaking how her own ethnicity/background speaks. Amy  then became  aware of other peoples English biases when she was in school, she saw  that society pushes Asians away from English and pushes them more into science and math. In the text she says ”ASIAN-AMERICAN students whose English spoken at home in the home might also be described as ”broken” or limited. And perhaps they also have teachers who are steering them away from writing and into math and science”. Amy Tans realizes her own language biases when she only speaks her language around her mom she then realizes other peoples English biases when society doesn’t accept  her native language they only accept the proper English.

I think if you know English fluently and well then yes you would know the language being used around you but if you don’t know English fluently you cant understand  what people are saying to you cause you don’t know if the language they are using is good or bad. I am always aware of the English that’s being used around me that’s the language that I grew up with and that I am used to so its easy for me to understand what the people around me are saying.