Blog#2

The role language played in Amy Tan’s life is fascinating to her. It makes her feel in control when she is speaking or writing it also gives her the ability to connect with others through the choice of words she uses. She stated how ‘’ I spend a great deal of my time thinking about the power of language- the way it can evoke an emotion, a visual image, a complex idea, or a simple truth,’’ meaning it’s something she thinks threw carefully. Language shaped her own perception of herself because it’s something she never gave up on its something she dedicated time to, to break the social norm that Asian Americans were more likely to be good in math and science rather than English. Making her feel as if she’s good enough like any well-educated American to master the ability to co switch perfectly and educating. She became aware of her own language biases when experiencing an event where her mother was present to witness her. She explained how ‘’ the talk was going along well enough until I  remembered one major difference that made the whole talk sound wrong. My mother was in the room. And it was perhaps the first time she had heard me give a lengthy speech using the kind of English I have never used with her’’ making her realize that the way she communicates with her mother is different from the way she communicates with others because if she uses the same English she uses with her mother with others they would instantly detect it as broken or unprofessional English and many wouldn’t be able to understand her the way her mother will. I do think that people who learn English as a second language are constantly aware of the language used around them from experiences I’m constantly aware that the way I speak to my parent is way different from the way I talk in school and if I write and speak the way I talk to my parents in school teachers would then consider me as below grade level or an unprofessional student.