Blog #6

In the future, I will be critically analyzing one of Eminem’s songs, Darkness, from his 2020 album, Music to be Murdered By. The song is controversial, as it tells the story of depression, suicide, gun violence, and possible alcohol abuse. There are numerous reasons why I chose this song. For starters, it is one of my favorite songs. The reason it is one of my favorite songs because it highlights a very serious issue that the United States has today. When that song came out, there were mass shootings happening from all over the country. The way this song is told, it puts us in the point of view of the shooter. Looking at the lens of a shooter, it is quite interesting to see, because usually artists would write songs as a victim. So far, I haven’t found the right thesis to use for my 3rd essay, but it should be along the lines of, the United States needs to urgently address gun violence. Sometimes, depression could lead to school shooters/local shooters, which then leads to suicide, or getting shot by the police. I plan to listen to the song numerous times, as well as look at the viewpoints of others to see how they react to the song. I want to see what conclusions they draw up, so that I can better understand the conclusion that I want to come up with. I’ll be looking for positive AND negative reviews about the song. Gun violence has long been overdue, it is time that the United States take action with this particular issue. Anything that I have said in this blog is subject to change.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Joseph Nicolas Vargas
    That is a unique but great topic to research on.