Blog 6

In my analytical research paper I will be analyzing Disney’s animated film, Cinderella. The way in which women are portrayed in the film, Cinderella, is problematic because it reinforces gender roles and suggests that women are only as valuable as their looks and marital status. In this essay I will examine how the harmful portrayal of women in popular American culture perpetuates the marginalization of women in our society. Cinderella is a film that American children watch from a very young age and the ideas it presents about women start to curate the way this young audience thinks about themselves or the opposite sex early in life. My desire to further research this topic stems from my curiosity on how putting these ideas into the brains of young people reflect the the disadvantages that adult women face in the workforce, the domestic expectations placed upon them, and how they are discussed by the media. I plan to explore this in my research by first analyzing what problematic ideas about women are present in Cinderella, and how these ideas harm women in their adult lives. I will also supply research to support how learning harmful ideas and standards at a young age affect people in their adult lives. I think this is incredibly important because women face a lot of unnecessary pressure and challenges today that wouldn’t be so if we learned from our history. I believe that the largest contribution to the perpetuation of harmful ideals is the media that we begin to consume as children.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Eliana Espinal
    Hey! I like that you chose Cinderella as the film to analyze because it shows that though many of us were presented this film at such a young age, it holds a significant message in it. Also, as a woman it is important to touch and analyze such a strong issue that has always been an issue! Good choice!