Blog #6

The text I have chosen to write my analytical research paper on is actually a series called “When They See Us”. This series is about five young black teens, also known as “The Central Park Five”, who are wrongly accused of beating and sexually assaulting a white woman in Central Park. Throughout the series, it can be seen how these five boys get manipulated to give false confessions by the police. They end up admitting to a crime that they did not commit. My thesis for this analytical research paper will be “police brutality has negative effects on the lives of people of color and police tend to abuse their power when it comes to black people”. In my essay, I hope to show the struggles that people of color have faced in America because of the police and the way that they are viewed by society. This series inspired my desire for further research because it shows the unfairness and the injustices that people of color face on a normal basis because of their skin color. In addition, situations like the one in the series still tend to happen to this day. I came up with my thesis because police brutality, manipulation, and abuse of power are common themes that pop up in the series. It is the reason why the boys go to prison and get accused of the crime. I hope to explore the statement in my research by looking for other events, during present times or throughout history, where people of color have gone through the same experiences as the Central Park Five”.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Joseph Nicolas Vargas
    That's a great topic to research and write about!