Blog #5

In “The Good Immigrant Student” by Bich Minh Nguyen , Nguyen States in paragraph 28,”I would like to make a broad accurate statement about immigrant children in schools. I would like to speak for them (us). I hesitate; I cannot”.  What Nguyen was saying was she wanted to try and tell a overall story for immigrant students, but she couldn’t because not all immigrants are treated equally and not are all in the same situations that she was in. Nguyen when she was a student was very shy and quite, opting to fade away from her teachers and classmates. But on the other hand not too different from her situation was her sister Anh, “Anh disliked school from the start, choosing rebellion rather than silence”. Showing that not to different from her, two different people had two different outlooks on being a immigrant in school. Nguyen would have to go through things like white prejudice teachers like Mrs.Alexander, saying “Your reading too fast” or demanding “What does this word mean ?” while being picked on to read. Nguyen explains that she was the only one of her classmates that would have to do this. Or when she had experiences that consisted of blonde school girls telling the teachers “I cant sit by her. My mom said I cant sit by anyone who’s brown” when sitting next to one of Nguyen Indian friends. Nguyen cant make a broad statement because there is so much that goes into being a immigrant student. Your environment and the people you have around you play a huge roll in this as everybody is due for a different experience. Nguyen States “I know not every kid is fortunate enough to have a teacher like Mrs.King, or a program like spectrum, or even the benefit of a manual written by a group of concerned educators”. Expressing how not every kids experience is the same, therefore leaving her unavailable to make a broad statement for all immigrant children.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Eliana Espinal
    Hello, I agree with you about not all immigrants being treated the same therefore leaving each of them with a different story to tell. I like that you mentioned that there is much more that goes into being an immigrant student and also things like your environment plays a role in one's experience. Good use of comparing her different experiences at the different schools!
  2. Jennifer Alcantara
    I agree. Not everyone shares the same experiences, so it wouldn't be right for her to make a broad statement for all immigrant children.