Blog #5

In “The Good Immigrant Student” by Bich Minh Nguyen, she claims that , “I would like to make a broad, accurate statement about immigrant children in schools. I would like to speak for them (us). I hesitate; I cannot”(90). Nguyen said this because she want to be able to tell a whole story about how all immigrants are treated, but cannot because all immigrant students are treated differently. In her case, she was more of the quiet type, so she tended to fade from the sight of her teachers and classmates. As for people like her sister who was not about to be walked over they more drag themselves for change in this type of society against white prejudice mindset in the school they attend or even in their own neighborhood. Nguyen also said that, “Today, bilingual education is supposed to have become both a method of assimilation and a method of preservation…“(85). This was a plan to better have the immigrants assimilate in to America without a problem, but it is very hard for immigrant children to find a place once they are viewed as a threat to society by the other people that live around them. every group of people have their space for them from when groups first formed in different areas. Schools are suppose to be a safe place for all children, but instead is used as a battle ground for adult to continue fighting for oppression through their children. America need to accept change of their society, so that immigrant like Nguyen and her sister can better get an education in an environment that is more welcoming them into America without fear of standout based on the color of their skin.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Dalbert Andujar
    Nice response, I agree with what you said about how america needs to accept change of their society so that they could get an education without the fear of racism and white prejudice in their minds, as kids should just be able to learn in a welcoming environment.