Blog #5

Nguyen says “I would like to make a board accurate statement about immigrants children in schools. I would like to speak for them(us). I hesitate; I cannot.” What she was trying is that she wants to make a accurate statement about immigrants children in school because other people have different perspective of immigrants children. In other words, the way that people treats immigrants is different to how people treats the white. So she wants to give a statement to tell people more specific to teachers at this timeline that we should treat the immigrants children with a little more respect or not to discriminate them just because of race. The reason being is because white people doesn’t know what the immigrants had to go through in order to get where they are now. For example, “If it was my turn to read out loud during reading circle, she’d interrupt me to snap, ‘You’re reading to fast’ or demand, ‘What does that word mean?’ Things she did not do to other students.”(Nguyen, Paragraph 8) This means that Nguyen’s teacher Mrs. Alexander did not show respect to Nguyen and a hint of discrimination because she treated Nguyen differently compare to other students. She would get mad if Nguyen was reading to too fast and demand her what that word mean, showing that she shows no respect to Nguyen based on her Vietnamese background. The reason being that Nguyen was hesitate to not speak out her statement was probably because of her personality. Nguyen personality was a shy and quiet person and she probably have kept her personality for awhile with some minor changes as she grew up. For example, “For, in addition to my excellent marks, I was nearly silent, deadly shy, and wholly obedient.”(Nguyen, Paragraph 8). This means that because she was quiet and shy person, she became hesitate to make a statement. Another possible reason is that she believe that students can change what’s best for them and seeing that change may cause others to do the same thing.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Rohit Lal
    I agree on how Nguyen's teacher had shown her a form of disrespect and discrimination based on her Vietnamese background while doing her readings. I also agree with immigrant children being shown more respect when in a classroom setting to make them feel more comfortable.
  2. Joshawa Allotey
    I really agree with you that immigrant children needed to be shown more loved and respected in school in order for them to feel more welcomed and comfortable in the classroom.
  3. Dylan Chan
    I agree that the reason behind Nguyen hesitating is that she has a very shy nature which does not let her speak up and advocate immigrant children like she wants to. If anything, she does so in a more discreet way which doesn't come off aggressive.