Blog #2

There are many people out there that come from immigrant families who feel the same way Amy did. They don’t realize that this is a gift, a gift that will play a major role later on. The narrative, “Mother Tongue” by Amy Tan clearly outlines why language played a major role in her life. The fact that Amy’s mother spoke “broken” English or rather “limited” English made Amy feel a certain way towards her mother. Amy felt uncomfortable when she would have to go out in public with her, “I was ashamed of her English. I believed that her English reflected the quality of what she had to say.” For the reason that she spoke “broken” English, outsiders would treat her differently, or didn’t even take her seriously. Although, the role of being a translator for her mother molded her own perception of herself. Amy began to realize that her mother’s language shaped the way she saw and expressed things. “The language spoken in the family, especially in immigrant families which are more insular, plays a large role in shaping the language of the child.” Amy mentions, because of this she understood the difference between her language and others, where it had an effect on her achievement tests. Amy asked herself, “Why are there few Asian Americans enrolled in creative writing programs?” This made her conceive the fact that there are many other families out there that are looked at for speaking, “broken” English. Because of the challenges she faced with her mother, Amy has a reason as to why she started writing.

To my mind, it is true that many people who learn a second language or are raised in a non-English household are constantly aware of the way language is used around them. Not only does this enhance language skills, but your brain automatically recognizes the difference in which the language is being used. Since I come from a non-English speaking household and immigrant parents, I realize the contrast of how I use my language in public as to how I use my language at home and with relatives. I have encountered the same experience Amy Tan mentioned, where I would have to speak for my parents on the phone and in-stores. However, I never felt ashamed of this, but more felt proud that as a daughter, I had the ability to manifest sympathy and respect to my parents. As I got older, I began to realize that coming from immigrant parents’ was an endowment.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Edina
    I agree with you, that people shouldn't be ashamed that their parents don't speak proper English. I believe our differences make us unique and we should embrace that.
  2. Arlinda Mulliqi
    Hello Donika, You made good points on how Amy felt uncomfortable to be out in the public with her mom because of her " broken English" . I also agree with the fact that people who speak more than one language are more aware of languages being spoken around them as it improves their language skills. I also had to speak for my parents in stores etc..
  3. Vilma Gonzales
    Hey, Donika i would have to disagree withe the point you made "but your brain automatically recognizes the difference in which the language is being used' i actually struggled a-lot when i was little i would speak spanglish to my parents a-lot and they wouldn't be able to fully understand me and i always questioned why because in my mind i thought i was speaking spanglish fully, my mind was unconsciously speaking spangish the whole time and it became difficult to speak to my parents at a point in my life but besides that you made some very good point in your writing :)