Corse Blog #2

The language of English is defined differently amongst all people. Depending on how much you know, people consider it perfect or broken down. After reading “Mother Tongue” we learn about the importance of language and how one’s tongue is powerful. From the reading, it is clear that language played a significant role in Amy Tan’s life. As she said, language defined her and also shaped her to be who she is. In essence, the language of English helped her mature.

Language heavily changed Amy Tan’s perception of  herself. Though she loved language and how “it can evoke an emotion, a visual image, a complex idea, or a simple truth” she became more attentive and conscious of herself as she spoke. For example, she explained that she’s always given speeches to large crowds with no issues but the night of her mother’s attendance, she caught herself talking a “different” English. She described it as different because it was way more complex than the English that was used between her and her mother. Amy was able to somehow switch the English she used without even realizing it. For instance, a few days after, she caught herself talking to her mom with the English her mother uses, which is not the same from the night of the speech. Furthermore, It was a constant sense of turning on and off of “perfect” and “broken” English. This caused Amy Tan to mature faster than others would. At such a young age, she was in situations others her age would not typically be in. For example, “In this guise, I was forced to ask for information or even to complain and yell at people who had been rude to her”. At only fifteen years old she was facing hardships that allowed her to develop faster mentally. For a long time, Amy explained that she believed that because her mother’s English was imperfect so was her thoughts. However, as she grew she learned that was not true. One’s english does not determine one’s intelligence.

I believe that those who learn English as a second language tend to be more aware of how language is used around them. I believe this happens because there might be situations or possibilities that they’re using a word in the wrong context or they learn a new word. I myself am also aware of how English is used around me as well for the same reason. I have always been insecure on the way I talk and write therefore I am always aware of those around me so I can better myself. Also, much like everyone, we tend to alter how we speak depending on the environment. Different places class for different levels of professionalism.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Lianie Vega
    Hello, I agree that people do change the way they speak base on their environment. When people hear others speak in their community, it can influence the way they speak.
  2. Salimatou Bah
    I agree that English can be defined in different ways. My mom speaks creole to me sometimes and I thought she was speaking to me in English. its just "broken" English.