Blog # 5 – The Good Immigrant Student

I can understand when Bich Nguyen says she would like to make a broad, accurate statement about immigrant children in schools, to speak on their behalf, but cannot. I mean, how could she possibly?
In seeing her point of view, it can be agreed that immigrant children across America suffer at the hands of scrutiny as well as being separated and set apart from who the typical All-American model student ought to be. No matter how brilliant and accomplished you are in school one just never seems to measure up. As much as Nguyen would like to be an advocate on behalf of immigrant children in schools she can’t, simply because each immigrant child has a different, painstaking story to tell.
What a Vietnamese student may have to endure may not be exactly what a Mexican student has to deal with, but it is all still discriminatory and oppressive the same. To be considered as less than, not good enough, or ‘up to standard’ because one is from a foreign country, English not being one’s first language, and not having the skin color of the ‘golden’ American child. Immigrant do tend to suffer the same fate, share a common struggle yet varying experiences in the sense that some were tougher both physically and emotionally (or one or the other). The other set may have chosen to rebel against the system if it didn’t work for them. Some children would go as far as not accepting or recognizing their heritage and identity. While others, just like Nguyen, only wanted to disappear into the scene, going unnoticed so as to avoid being placed under a microscope just to be marginalized and scrutinized.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Keiry Ramirez
    I agree with you. There is more to being an immigrant student. Each experience is different and from what I read she had it easy than most. There will always be stereotypes, we just got to prove them wrong.
  2. Arlinda Mulliqi
    I agree with your statements how people with different backgrounds / color or in general being immigrants tend to feel so much different from others but in reality they are not any less from others.