Blog #5

Undocumented immigrants always have been a problem for the United States. In “Outlaw: My Life in America as an Undocumented Immigrant” Jose Antonio Vargas share with us their story of being an Undocumented Inmigrant in America. Jose talks about anxiety, life limitations, and loses opportunities that he had to experiment in his life after trying to get their driver’s license in Mountain View, California, and realize that his legal documents are fake. After this incident the future life that he had in their mind change completely. After Jose confronts his grandfather “lolo” he convinced himself that if he works hard he can earn citizenship. we can see this in paragraph 5: “I decided them that I could never give anyone reason to doubt I was an American. I convinced myself that if I worked enough, if I achieved enough, I would be rewarded with citizenship. I felt I could earn it.”. Time after, Jose get graduated from High school and college, built a career as a journalist, and interviewing some of the most famous people in the country.

Based in paragraph 11: “After my encounter at the D.M.V. in 1997, I grew more aware of anti-immigrant sentiments and stereotypes: They don’t want to assimilate, they are a drain on society.” we can conclude that the most important connotation between “undocumented immigrants” and “illegal aliens” is that illegal aliens are seen as an evil that causes wear and tears on American society. “illegal aliens”, only with this we can conclude that they don’t even classify them as humans, from their point of view they don’t deserve human rights such as education. The term that should be used to refer to Vargas and others in this situation is undocumented immigrants because they are still humans who have humans rights and deserve rights such as Education. People who enter the country without the legal documents but this is not reason enough for them to be cleared of their human rights.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Zayneb Saad
    I agree with using the term "undocumented immigrants" instead of "illegal alien" or whatnot. People often intertwine politics with humanity as if one doesn't exist without the other. We may be politically divided but we shouldn't forget about basic humanity.