Blog #5

There is a negative connotation that the terms “undocumented immigrants” and “illegal aliens” have. A lot of people when they hear the words immigrants and aliens they automatically think of people who are living in the United States illegally.  “Undocumented immigrants” and “illegal aliens” refers to people from other countries that live in the United States, who don’t have the required forms. In “Outlaw: My Life in America as an Undocumented Immigrant,” it states,”I grew more aware of anti-immigrant sentiments and stereotypes… They’re not talking to me, I would tell myself. I have something to contribute.” This shows that there was many stereotypes about immigrants. Stereotypes and comments can be hurtful, discouraging, and can cause immigrants to feel like they’re not important. Vargas didn’t let any stereotype, negative comment affect him while he was trying to achieve his American Dream. In “Outlaw: My Life in America as an Undocumented Immigrant,” it also states, “I’ve created a good life. I’ve lived the American Dream. But I am still undocumented.” Even though Jose Antonio Vargas didn’t have the required forms to become a legal citizen of the United States, he still was able to live his life similarly to any other American and even achieved the American Dream. He had many great accomplishments. He “graduated from high school and college and built a career as a journalist.” He worked at subway and had other jobs, during high school. Later on, he ended up working at the Huffington Post and had other great opportunities. People shouldn’t refer to Vargas and others in his situation as an illegal, as an alien because those words can be hurtful or used in a hurtful way. The words illegal and alien can cause people to feel like they’re strange, when all they want is a better life for themselves and for their families in the United States. People in Vargas’ situation should be called undocumented immigrants or undocumented humans because those are respectful terms. People should always respect undocumented humans, undocumented immigrants because they have feelings, make sacrifices, work, and go to school just like any other person living in the United States.

Comments ( 3 )

1. Joelle McKenzie
    It is so true what you said about the terms "undocumented immigrants" and "illegal aliens" being relative to just being an immigrant. As soon as someone recognizes that you are not from here, often times the first assumption is that you don't have the legal papers to be living here, which is rather a very offensive stereotype.
  2. Keiry Ramirez
    Its challenging to be an immigrant in america. We get called allies because we come from another country. "A lot of people when they hear the words immigrants and aliens they automatically think of people who are living in the United States illegally." this is so true. People can be very judgemental when they come across an immigrant which is unfair. they come here for a new beginning and to supply their family with a future.
  3. Ranniel Peña Maria
    I agree with you, because they are illegal they do not deserve to be called aliens, it is a very offensive term for people who just want a better future, which their country of origin may not be able to offer them.