Blog #3

While imprisoned, one would usually feel less free. But, the exact opposite happened to Malcolm X who felt even more free, as he states, “In fact, up to then, I never had been so truly free in my life”, while he was in Charlestown Prison. There he would learn how to write by looking through the dictionary and read until the morning, getting three to four hours of sleep. Now, the question is why does he feel like he had more freedom in jail than in his actual life? Well the reasoning behind it is because in jail, he had no worries, other than the guards who would walk by his cell. He didn’t have to worry about a pet dog to feed, a job that has deadlines, or any bills that needed to be paid for. With this, he had all the free time to go through the dictionary and to read books until late at night. One thing that really stuck out was when he says, “No university would ask any student to devour literature as I did when this new world opened to me, of being able to read and understand“. In this, he emphasizes the word “understand”. What’s important about this is the fact that he is able to understand due to the amount of time and the freedom that he has that allows him to fully take in what he is reading with efficiency. He become well learned in vocabulary and writing as well from this freedom that he has, showing this correlation between freedom and literature. It is something that is rarely done in today’s society, depending on who the person may be.

Comments ( 4 )

1. Edina
    I agree with you when you said that Malcolm felt like he had more freedom in jail because he didn't have to worry about taking care of anything. Him being in jail gave him time to educate himself and learn how to read and write.
  2. Calvin Chao
    To add on to what Edina said, since Malcolm was able to read and write, he was able to help with the Civil Rights movement by being able to help the black community to desegregate the people from one another. With Malcolm's knowledge and other African Americans leaders, a bill was past to desegregate the black community with the whites allowing true freedom for the black community.
  3. Jaylene Cordero
    I also agree with what you said about Malcolm felt more freedom in jail, it is quite ironic because he is locked up but it was the only place where he could put all his focus to educating himself.
  4. Joshawa Allotey
    I totally agree with you when you wrote that Malcolm felt more free in prison because after all there was nothing more to loose which gave him all the freedom he needed