Blog #3

Malcom X felt he was free even though he was in prison because knowledge is power and he use it properly. Malcom x didn’t let nothing stop him, he needed to express himself and went for it. By learning to read and write Malcom X was able to reach a bigger population. He washable to write articles about his beliefs and speak in large groups about his ideologies. Freedom and Literature are more related than what people think. Literature is where people feel free to express themselves. There is freedom of speech which means people have the freedom to say whatever they want. So literature its a way to express someones freedom of speech. Literature also maintained freedom between writers and readers. Malcom was proud to obtain knowledge in prison because that’s where he learn that it was time to take a stand. “It was both ideas together that moved me to request a dictionary along with some tablets and pencils from the Norfolk prison colony school” He continued practicing until he perfected his writing and pronunciations. The dictionary was the power tool that got him to understand everything. “I was so fascinated that I went on” this sentence proves he was enthusiastic about learning. In prison there’s  a lot of down time and Malcom was productive by learning how to read and write in prison.  It was clear that Malcom was a determined and a hard working person by the technique he used to learn how to read and write.

The way literature connects people such as writers and readers or readers and readers is through freedom. Malcom comments on how images who read where debaters and considered celebrities. ” An inmate was smiled upon if he demonstrated an unusually intense interest in books.” Which is why he preferred to read in his room isolated from the others.  I believe that prison was life changing for Malcom. This quote verifies my statement, ” I knew right there in prison that reading had changed forever the course of my life.” Not only that but prison gave him the time and resources he didn’t have available. For Malcom kit was more about how he got there than what he got out of it. He learned how to make the best out of a situation.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Miguel Estrella
    I agree with you stating that knowledge is power because when Malcolm X learned how to read he was able to learn more about the issues colored people were facing at that time.
  2. Yesmely Medina
    I strongly agree with you when you state how Knowledge is power and because of it Malcolm accomplished a lot.