Blog #3

Being in prison means that you are not going to have the liberty to do anything, but this is not the case for Malcolm X.

In the beginning, when he was in prison he looks a way to be freedom by reading, when she started, at the start Malcolm did not understand a few words so he skipped it, but after he starts to looking the words that he does not understand in the dictionary to have a meaning of those words and understand the text that the was reading after he had a piece of knowledge about the words that he did not understand, he realized that his world was bigger than he imagined. Malcolm says “I spend two days just riffling uncertainly through the dictionary´s pages. I’d never realized so many words existed! I didn’t know which words I needed to learn. Finally, just to start some kind of action, I began copying”.

The narrative suggests that Malcolm had freedom, but not physical but freedom through the understanding of literature that he had ignored for years, This narrative also suggests that people can have greater freedom of mind through books and language understanding than through the world around them. after Malcolm understand what he was missing after years before being in prison he starts to read every day in their free time even in the night when guardians were passing around with the poor corridor light that barely enters to the room, reading change completely the life of Malcolm after prison, he reads every day even when he was in an airplane, the literature of the language change the mind of Malcolm forever because after this he can feel more freedom and let Malcolm transmit their express in a more complex and precise way than before.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Lianie Vega
    I agree that literature changed Malcolm’s mind because literature made him gain more knowledge and become aware of what was going on around him.