BLOG #2

Language played a very important role in Amy Tan’s life, not only did she speak two different English languages but it influenced her perception as well. Amy Tan grew up in a household where suitable English was not spoken, the English she grew up speaking had grammatical errors which many considered to be “broken” or “limited”. She expressed what challenges she face growing up with her mothers language. Amy used what many saw as a disadvantage to her advantage  and showed that despite the background or language you come from, you hold a place in society. In the passage Amy writes, “Her language, as I hear it, is vivid, direct, full of observation and imagery. That was the language that helped shape the way I saw things, expressed things, made sense of the world.” In other words, Amy saw her mothers language to be rich and memorable, in which case helped her notice the perception of others who treated her mothers language as incomprehensible and false. This helped shaped her own perception of herself because she was able to understand the grades she got in specific subjects, her more English speaking classes were never considered her strong suit. She was told that math was a better off subject because it limited the use of English as if she didn’t understand it. Amy also realized the perception of others were based off her mothers language passed down to her. Amy Tan used her mothers ‘limited English” to bring attention to the unjust actions of others. She became aware of her own language biases and of others when she realized the reactions and actions of peers, teachers and office workers. Amy grew up having to stand up her mother because others would not take her serious. Amy’s mother went to the hospital in hopes of finding her diagnosis but when doctors realized her English was “limited”, they disregarded any concerns she had and when Amy was called about the situation, they helped her mother in seconds. To others Amy was understandable, she was seen as intelligent and knowledgable because of the way she spoke. Amy’s experiences allowed language to play a big role in her life, understand perception and bring awareness to language bias.

People who learn English as a second language or grow up in a non-english speaking household do understand the language barrier and are constantly aware of the language spoken around them. Speaking from a personal experience, language has always been an issue in my household. My father speaks little to no English, and my mother understands the English language but often times finds it difficult to respond in what most call understandable English. I asked my mother “When you hear your kids speaking English, what do you get from it and how does it make you feel?”. She briefly explained in Spanish that she is able to pick and choose words and try to make sense in the order there placed but usually never fully knows what is being told or spoken. I relate to Amy Tan because my mother too has had issues with communication, I often times find myself making calls on behalf of my mother. This has had an impact on my life, because when my mother receives or makes calls where there are no Spanish speakers, I know I have to speak for her. It angers me that other don’t take people with a language barrier seriously because they are understandable and smart in their language, they just struggle putting it another language. I usually think of this situation as if I were the only English speaking person in a French class, and everyone understood everything but me. Why would you treat someone different trying to adapt to a new language?

Comment ( 1 )

1. Lianie Vega
    Hello Karen, it also annoys me when a person doesn’t take someone seriously when that someone is trying their best to speak English. Everyone grows up with a different language and people should always respect others who is trying to speak English, since English isn’t their first language.