Blog #2

Language shaped Amy into the writer she was meant to be. It was a guide, her passion and how she expressed herself. She was raised by a foreign parent which isn’t easy when a parent isn’t fluent in english. It was a challenge she proved she could overcome. Depending on the environment she was in she spoke other “englishes” . With her mom and husband she was more relaxed  and intimate with english. People looking down on her and her mother’s english gave Amy the motivation to Major in English. For example, “ I happen to be rebellious in nature and enjoy the challenge of disproving assumptions made about me.” She was aware that she spoke differently around certain people. Amy pointed out how she was ashamed of her mother’s english because it reflected badly on them. “And then I said in perfect English” I don’t think there is a thing such as perfect english just correct pronunciation. As a teen she had to make calls for her mother to translate. Amy explains how her mom was treated when she spoke english and that it was unfair. Which should have given her a better perspective on how people are treated when they don’t “properly” speak another language. Therefore, Amy wrote a book that her mother could understand and you can tell she was proud when you read the last sentence. “ I knew I succeeded where it counted when my mother finished reading my book and gave me her verdict: ‘’So easy to read’’.”

I think those who learn english as their second language know how different they sound from their peers. It’s noticeable when someone is fluent and they look at you like you don’t know what you are saying. There are cultural differences in language. Language takes a huge role in culture. Language has many components to it, you have to be able to comprehend and communicate with it. English is my second language and sometimes you can hear my accent. Accents don’t mean they aren’t fluent. I know when others sound different then me. Like I would sometimes say a word in spanish when I meant to say it in english. I speak my first language in public when I want to communicate something discreetly. I can relate to Amy because my mother is also an immigrant who doesn’t speak very good english. Just like Amy, I translate calls and read letters for my mom so I  have seen how people get annoyed by her when she tries to communicate. 

Comments ( 4 )

1. Karen Herrera
    Keiry, When you wrote "Accents don't mean they aren't fluent", I wanted to see that in all caps. This the reality we as second language speakers to English are force to see on a daily basis. I too know that others sound different. Multiple people could say the thing, and because one person has an accent or misses a word, we are seen as incomprehensible despite them knowing what we mean.
  2. Karen Herrera
    *same thing
  3. Asya Parson
    I like when you said '' language takes a huge role in culture'' because how you speak tells a lot about you and who you are as a person your language is all based off your ethnicity and where you are from.
  4. Eleonore Maldonado
    That is very amazing how you can relate to the author and make connections.