Blog #2

Language plays an important role in Amy Tan’s life. Amy grew up in a family that does not speak English well, people call it “Broken English” because Amy’s mother is not an English native speaker, Amy learns English in school, and then English become part of her life, we can come to this conclusion when Amy says: “I am fascinated by language in daily life. I send a great deal of my time thinking about the power of language – the way it can evoke an emotion, a visual image, a complex idea, or a simple truth. Language is the tool of my trade. And I use them all – all the Englishes I grew u with” thanks to being a writer Amy realized who important is the language when someone tries to express their emotions and feelings.

People who learn English as a second language are constantly aware of the way language is used around, I can speak by myself saying that I am constantly aware of the way people used English around me as a way to improve my pronunciation and writing, this has a big impact in me because thanks to this I improve my pronunciation with some words that have been difficult to me to pronounce by the accent of my first language, I can say that I have the same experiences that Amy with my mother because her English is not perfect I sometimes I have to speak with someone that she does not understand because I’m the one that “speaks it well”. in conclusion Amy loved the English language and the way she can evoke her emotions.

Comment ( 1 )

1. Joseph Nicolas Vargas
    I also relate to having to speak for relatives because of the language barrier.