Blog #2

Language played an essential part in Amy’s life. Her experiences helped her understand the significance of language. They taught her that language is just not about how you speak and hear it, but it’s about what the person conveys, their intent, and passion the person holds when speaking. Language shaped her perception of herself because she has always seen English as a challenge growing up because of her mom’s broken English. In school, she struggled in English classes and never got the grades she wanted. But instead of her sticking with the perception of herself that she will never be good at English. She did the opposite and “became an English Major my first year in college, after being enrolled as pre-med.” She broke down her barriers and challenged herself to achieve the very thing she thought she couldn’t do.

Amy became aware of her own language bias when she was talking in front of a room of people and caught herself speaking English in a way that she has never spoken before in front of her mom. All her life, she’s been used to hearing and even has described her mother’s English as “broken” when she stated, “Like others, I have described it to people as “broken” or “fractured” English.” Although some people might consider her mother’s English as broken. They can still somewhat understand her but choose not to. This shows how people, even when they know and get the gist of what you’re saying, will pretend as if they don’t understand you if your English is not perfect. This is how Tan realized language bias in other people. When her mother asked the doctors for her CAT Scan in the hospital, they were giving her a hard time. As soon as someone “who spoke in perfect English” got involved “–lo and behold– we had assurances the CAT scan would be found, promises that a conference call on Monday would be held…” The doctors knew what Tan’s mom was asking for but gave her a hard time just because they could. 

I think that people who are raised in non-English speaking households are always aware of how language is used around them because it’s different to them. The way they hear the language at home is not the same way they might hear it in school or at work. At first, I used to be very aware of how English was used around me. The English I would hear at home and at school was two very completely different things. At home, my sisters and I would always speak Spanglish. We would start off talking in English, and out of nowhere, use a few Spanish words here and there. The English that I would hear in school was what one might consider “proper” English.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Amani Daniel
    Conversation at home compared to work or school is way different for a non-English speaker because of the difference in cultures. Many things are described or spelled differently, But I also think the same way about non-English speaking households.
  2. Eliana Espinal
    I strongly agree with your opinion. The way we speak at home isn't necessarily the same way we talk when we're in public with others. I feel like this often happens mainly because of our parents. Our parents raise us talking in a certain way which we often become accustomed to not knowing that it may not be the proper English.