Blog #1

My name is John Fernandez. I’m 17, but I turn 18 at the end of the month. I’m a theater major at Lehman and I want to make my minor Dance when we return to the campus. I prefer he/him/his.

After reading the syllabus, I’m excited about this course. The main thing I’m excited about is just to be writing. I love writing because I find it low-key relaxing (depending on the topic). One thing I’m not excited about is that this course looks very fast pace and I’m worried that I could fall behind in this course. But besides that, I’m looking forward to this class.

A quality of a good writer is being able to let the writing flow. This is important because when the writing flows, it grabs the attention of the reader. If there’s no flow, there is no structure to the writing and it’s just random words. To be a good writer, one needs to not only be creative but to be able to just go with the moment and let the words come to him/her. When I write, I don’t plan what I’m going to write. I just read the question and I just write what flows in my brain. Sometimes it’s easy and other times it feels like there is a mental block. Being able to write well is important because I think developing good writing skills translates to having good communication skills.

I don’t think there’s the easiest part of writing for me. I have strengths and weaknesses. One thing I do well is letting words flow if I can get creative with the topic. The hardest part of writing for me is when the topic is difficult for me, I get blocked and I don’t know what to write and that’s the biggest thing I need to work on with my writing.

For my major, I’ll most likely be writing things like scripts and lyrics. Being an effective writer can help my opportunities because it gives me more options in my field.

Comments ( 2 )

1. Joseph Nicolas Vargas
    Hello John. Very interesting read, I relate to the excitement for this course and can't wait to learn much more.
  2. Cordelia Vohnout
    Hi John, I plan on being a dance major so it's cool to see that you're also interested in dance. I liked what you wrote about having both strengths and weaknesses in writing because no matter how strong a writer you are you're bound to struggle with something.