Blog #4

There were many similarities and differences between “The Gettysburg Address”, by Abraham Lincoln and the “Inaugural Address”, by John F. Kennedy. President Lincoln and President Kennedy, both gave their speeches during war time. President Lincoln gave a speech when the Battle of Gettysburg was over, which was a battle fought during the Civil War. The Civil War caused the United States to be divided because the North wanted to abolish slaves and the South wanted to keep slaves. In the “Gettysburg Address,” it states, “these dead shall not have died in vain- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom- and that the government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.” President Lincoln gave a speech to honor all the lives that were lost during that battle. President Lincoln wanted to address the problem in the United States by fighting for what was right, which was to free slaves. He wanted everyone in the United States to have freedom. The North ends up winning the Civil War and all the slaves were free. But, freed slaves were still oppress and didn’t have the same rights as everyone else. President Kennedy’s “Inaugural Address” was given during the Cold War. In the “Inaugural Address,” it states, “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.” President Kennedy also wanted everyone in the United States to have freedom. He also wanted everyone to work together to maintain peace within the nation and with other nations. For the most part, throughout the years, the United States has been able to maintain peace within the nation and with other nations. The problems each believed that was occurring in the United States was that not everyone had freedom and not everyone had the same rights. As the leaders of the United States, they wanted to solve these problems to help make the nation better. President Lincoln and President Kennedy, both wanted the people in the United States to work together to achieve the same goal. They wanted everyone to have freedom and to be treated equally. Overtime, the United States has passed many laws to help everyone be treated equally. Sadly, there are still many people who oppress others. The United States hasn’t fully solved the problem of equality because not everyone is treated equally.

Comments ( 4 )

1. Keiry Ramirez
    I liked how you mentioned the civil war and its impact. It was a great cause because black people needed their freedom. Kennedy and Lincoln fought for the correct thing. We should come together and treat each other equally.
  2. Karen Herrera
    Lianie, I enjoyed reading your short essay. Great job discussing the civil war and its relations to Lincoln's speech. I enjoyed how you reasoned and elaborated the quotes.
  3. Deanna Stuetley
    I like how you emphasized the importance of the time periods surrounding each speech. Both presidents fought different battles that were created by the same racial injustice. They both wanted the same thing for this country and I like that you made that clear when you mention that the problems of equality still haven’t been fully resolved.
  4. Miguel Estrella
    I strongly agree with your last sentence because the United States still deals with issues of equality since people are being discriminated against for the color of their skin.