Blog 7

My essay is related to the film/ book The Hate You Give, which provides an issue that is very common in today’s world. My thesis is for those who face unjustified racial inequality . The sources stated below are some pieces of evidence that I used to help back up my thesis related to the film.

Dowie-Chin, Tianna, Matthew P. S. Cowley, and Mario Worlds. “Whitewashing Through Film: How Educators Can Use Critical Race Media Literacy to Analyze Hollywood’s Adaptation of Angie Thomas’ the Hate U Give.” International Journal of Multicultural Education. 22.2 (2020): 129. Print. https://ijme-journal.org/index.php/ijme/article/view/2457/1373

This article highlights the issues linked to racism and white supremacy portrayed in the film The Hate U Give. It also provides distinctions in the portrayal of racial segregation and discrimination between the film and the book.I feel like all of those issues are relatable for a lot of people in todays society and because of how they are treated. This evidence helped back up my essay because it is related to the film and it describes difficulties people face in reality.The critical race theory ( CRT ” the view that race, instead of being biologically grounded and natural, is socially constructed and that race, as a socially constructed concept, functions as a means to maintain the interests of the white population that constructed it. It argues that ” when The Hate U Give was rendered into a film, a number of the changes weakened the novel‘s counterstory messages around racism and white supremacy

“Weissmann, Elena. State Violence and Racial Justice: ‘The Hate U Give’ Could Sear on Screens. 2018. Retrieved from: https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Movies/2018/1005/State-violence-and-racial-justice-The-Hate-U-Give-could-sear-on-screens

The article addresses race relations depicted in the book: The Hate U Give and the response from the public relating to racial justice protests. It also provides an outline for the book’s plot and movie. In the movie along with the book there is protests happening for justice and its where people’s voices are heard. This source was good evidence because it is specifically related to the book and the issues. It provides  good examples that people are in ” Starr’s shoes” and face the same unjustified issues.

Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message